Monday, July 10, 2006

World Cup 2006

While so many Italian fans celebrated Azzurri's victory, I was left feeling numb. The thought that it could have been the Socceroos there holding that cup. We were defeated because of the Ref (Azzurri's 12th man) in the quarter final. Anyway this whole post is about Azzurri's victory over France in the final. Will get to that part eventually. Whilst Azzurri played well against Ukraine and Germany. They didn't play that well against France. For it to be decided by the penalty shootouts. It was sad. So so sad. Azzurri didn't deserve the World Cup trophy but what they deserved was an Oscar. All the Refs they fooled. So many of my so called friends said "Forza Italia". They were Australians who has Italian heritage (so what you're in Australia now). They said they couldn't decide who to go for but then decided to go for Italy because they had more chance. More chance in what? Fooling the Refs. The joke is their 1990 World Cup song - "To Be Number One" promoted fair play. Yet they fooled the Ref (you call that fair eh). I felt for Germany the most. They played well from the start, they had one bad game against Italy then it's all over. Yes they managed to finish third. But they earned it. At the end of this World Cup, I have made up my mind. Soccer isn't the game for me. In most other sports, the best team/player wins, in Soccer when it all depends on the Penalty Shootouts, it's based on luck. That I can't just accept. This entry is my way of closure. To say goodbye to World Cup 2006 and what could have been.

No comments: